Olives and olive oil are used in food for several thousand years. They are used since the ancient Greeks and Romans, and today we use their health benefits to fight modern diseases.
Mediterranean countries for centuries grown and exploited the olive tree, and in the 16th century have been taken to America. Olive trees last 300 to 600 years. Worldwide there are more than 70 types of olive tree as a result of the intersection and adjust the various climes.
What they contain?
Olives and olive oil have a significant antioxidant effect; contain many nutrients and medicinal ingredients:
- Beta Carotene
- Vegetable fat
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Monounsaturated fat
- Unsaturated fatty acids
- Oleic acid
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Stearic acid
- Palmitic acid
- It also found that olive oil contains healing substance ibuprofen.
Mostly, olives are used in the form of fruit or olive oil, but also for making various spreads and sauces. Olive oil can be added to any salad, and is also used to prepare some sweets.
Ancient peoples used olive oil to protect against burns, burning sun or as an antiseptic for wounds. More recently in Spain, some ingredients of olive oil are added to bread in order to act against aging. The most popular, best and healthiest is extra virgin olive oil.
Effects and usefulness
Olives and olive oil have many beneficial effects and their contribution is most important for:
- Irregular heart beat (rhythm disturbed)
- Diseases of the teeth and oral cavity
- Diseases of the heart and blood vessels
- Pain in the ear
- Gastritis (inflammation of the stomach)
- Fungal nail infections
- Dermatitis (inflammation of skin)
- Cracked lips and skin
- Exhaustion and fatigue
- Skin diseases of the head and hair problems
- Macular degeneration
- Menstrual pains
- Bad memory
- And irritable bowel spasm
- Some types of cancer
- Open wounds
- Growth and development of children
- Problems with digestion
- Prostate problems in men
- Viral infections
- Damage and inflammation of the tissues
- As painkillers
- Sun burns
- Elevated cholesterol
- For regulation of blood pressure
- Regulating the overweight
- Menopausal complaints
Olive oil contains no gluten or salt and enhances the flavor of food.